Bassin' for Kids, Northern Ontario, founded in 1996, is a special organization that evolved from a long running Bass Tournament. Previous years had just been a Bass Tourney like so many others, but what has made our tourney more worthwhile has been the simple fact that we are helping kids (along with still enjoying fishing!)
Our members just love to take a weekend off to relax and enjoy themselves *and they do) but still take time to raise a few bucks for the kids out there. We are not a large organization, but we believe in helping kids and parents behind the scenes. Each year our tourney grows in memberships (80 boats this year with 3 to a boat) and so does our money raised on the weekend. Last year we raised $58,000which brings out total to$690,000.
Below is a list of what we have accomplished over the last eight years:
- We have installed TV, Playstations and VCRs in most hospitals (children's wards) throughout Northern Ontario.
- We have installed computers in two hospitals that are directly linked to Toronto Sick Kids Hospitals so that families with similar concerns can communicate.
- We have sent 150 children to summer camps, including CAMP QUALITY, a camp for kids with cancer out side of Sudbury.
- We have helped camps pave sidewalks for wheelchair access, install wheel chair lifts in swimming pools and provided emergency generators.
- We have helped many parents in their time of need with medical expenses.
- Christmas has never gone by without our tourney helping children 'have a better Christmas'
- In 2004, we began supporting the James D.Smyth Pediatric Stroke Fund in conjunction with the hospital for Sick Children.